I posted this, our dinner, on Instagram last night. The wonderful thing about frittatas is that they so versatile. You can put almost anything in them. I’ve got one on my meal plan for next month that actually has hash browns and bacon in it. Yum! So have fun with it. The possibilities are almost endless, onions, tomatoes (if you like that sort of thing :P), mushrooms (again, if you’re into fungus…), feta, kale, and I could go on! A few friends asked for the recipe and how-to. So here’s my two-cents, for what it’s worth.
Spinach and Bacon Frittata
Calories: 202 Carbs: 2 Fat: 15 Protein: 12
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- half of red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet, or an oven safe skillet, over medium heat. Cook bacon till crispy, chop and set aside.
- Add enough oil to make sure the skillet is well covered, about 1/2-1 tablespoon.
- Turn broiler on high.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper.
- Stir in bacon, spinach, bell pepper and cheese. Pour into skillet.
- Cook mixture (do not stir) for 5-6 minutes until eggs are mostly set, but still wet in the middle. Even the eggs aren’t cooking evenly, rotate your pan to ensure even, complete cooking.
- Place skillet in heated broiler and cook for another 3 or so minutes until the eggs have started to brown.
- Cut into 8 pieces, serve and enjoy!